COVID – 19 updates
- The Government approved the extension until December 31st, 2020 of several measures established during the sanitary crisis in Romania, such as providing medical aid for all persons infected on the territory of Romania and the possibility for GPs to prescribe restricted drug to patients with chronic diseases.
- The legislative proposal amending the Law for Quarantine signed into law by President Klaus Iohannis today. Any person aggrieved by the quarantine measures imposed on the territory of Romania can now address the court.
- 1,629 new cases of COVID-19 infections have been reported in Romania in the past 24 hours, out of 25,494 conducted tests. 42 Romanians infected with the novel coronavirus have died in the past 24 hours, while 508 patients are in intensive care.
Political and Regulatory
- The Government approved a Draft GEO amending GEO 130/2020 granting financial aid worth EUR 1 billion to businesses affected by the COVID-19 crisis. As agreed with the private sector, the amendments expand the list of aid beneficiaries and eliminate certain “barriers” in applying the Ordinance’s provisions.
- The Government approved a Draft Resolution whereby young farmers can lease an area of up to 50 hectares through the State Domains Agency.
- The Government approved a Draft Resolution for the allocation of approximatively RON 13 million for the expropriation of buildings on section 3 of the Craiova-Pitesti express road.
Impact on the Economy
- The unemployment rate in Romania stood at 5.4% in the second quarter of the current year, up 1.1 percentage points from the previous quarter, and the employment rate of the working age population (15-64 years) was 65.2%, down 0.2 percentage points compared to the same reference period, according to data from the National Institute of Statistics (INS).
- For the fifth time in September 2020, Euro reaches a new all-time high on Friday, of RON 4.8750. The national currency to devalue and reach RON 4,977 for one euro in the next 12 months, CFA specialists say.