Situation of COVID-19 cases in Romania
- Number of new coronavirus cases massive drop, few tests: Daily number of new cases reached 808, out of a total of 6,348 tests. Daily death toll: 23.
Political and regulatory
- Ten days before the local elections most of the Romanian Government is campaigning for PNL. Next Plenum in Parliament is on September 30, after elections: Touring with PNL in Moldova this weekend, PM Orban promised massive investments in the region including no fewer than three motorways. Also, today, September 21, PM Orban, President Iohannis and several ministers took the first train from Gara de Nord to Bucharest Otopeni Airport.
- Support for Belarus: The President of Romania, Klaus Iohannis, the President of Lithuania, Gitanas Nauseda, and the President of Poland, Andrzej Duda, state their will, in a joint statement, to support the people of Belarus in building a democratic path and appeal to the international community to join the EU and its member states in the demarche of preparing a positive agenda for Belarus, together with a package of support for the political, economic and social transition of the country.
- Parliament to meet in plenary sitting on Tuesday for budget revision: Parliament is meeting in plenary sitting, on Tuesday, starting 13:00 hrs, for the budget revision. The decision was made on Monday by the Joint Standing Bureaus of the Senate and Chamber of Deputies. All the amendments proposed were put forth by the Social Democratic Party. The debates in the select committees were not attended by MPs from the National Liberal Party.
- Poll Bucharest: Tie Score Between Nicusor Dan And Gabriela Firea. Basescu Rips The Right-Wing Votes: A new poll on the local elections in Bucharest, conducted by Novel Research through CATI (Computer Assisted Telephone Interviewing) on September 16-17 and commissioned by PNL, revealed that there is a tie score between the USR-PLUS-PNL candidate, Nicusor Dan and the PSD candidate, Gabriela Firea. Former president Traian Basescu, running for the Bucharest mayor seat on PMP’s behalf, is ranking third.
Impact on the economy
- Romania’s reclassification to Secondary Emerging market: FTSE Russell decision comes as a result of the formal screening process that included the collection of information from public institutions and the Bucharest Stock Exchange, along with the calibration of information received versus the perception of institutional investors already trading on the local market. According to the representatives of the Romanian Association of Banks (ARB), the reclassification of the Romanian capital market to Secondary Emerging market status could attract new investments to the Bucharest Stock Exchange (BVB) from specialized investment funds on emerging markets. ASF’s Nicu Marcu sees BVB’s leap forward as a stepping stone for Romania becoming a regional hub, asking for the state’s direct involvement. FinMin Cîțu concluded that Romania is ‘one click away’ from billions of euros.
- National Institute for Statistics on wages: The average net wage registered in the national economy in companies with at least 10 employees, in October 2018, was 2769 lei / month, increasing with the age group of employees, the National Institute of Statistics reported on Monday following the annual survey. The highest average monthly earnings were made by employees aged 55-64 (2836 lei / month in net terms). The survey on the structure of earnings is carried out every four years, as a selective statistical survey in enterprises, having as reference periods the month of October and the calendar year.